The Petarian Mag
- Petarian Legend
Rear Admiral Azhar Hussain HI (M); SI (M) - Latif House
A Thorough Gentleman - The First Petarian to Reach
the Flag Rank
Rear Admiral Azhar Hussain was born on the 8th of August
1947. He initially studied in St. Xavier’s school and Public School, Karachi
before joining Cadet College Petaro in August 1961.
He passed his matriculation examination with laurels in 1963 and missed
topping the Board by merely 14 marks, also his performance was similar in the
While at Cadet College Petaro, besides academics he was an active sportsman
who took keen interest in co curricular activities.
- Junior Under Officer Latif House
- Captain and Colour Holder-College Basketball Team
- Colour Holder-College Rifle Shooting Team
- Chief Editor College Magazine The Cadet
- Gold Medal-PARA in 1965
- Badge of Honour
- Stick of Honour.
He joined NED Engineering College after Intermediate but during 1965 war, he
was selected for Pakistan Navy which he joined and got his commission in
- Graduation in Mechanical Engineering
- Post Graduation in Marine Engineering from U.K.
- M.Sc. in Defence and Strategic Studies.
Served Pakistan Navy as:
- Senior Engineering Officer at various ships and establishments
- General Manager Pakistan Naval Dockyard
- Commanding Officer - PNS Karsaz
- Assistant Chief of Naval Staff (Materials) Naval Headquarters
- Deputy Chief of Naval Staff (Materials)
- Director General Munitions Production Ministry of Defence
To the rank of Rear Admiral on 28 July 1997 by the grace of Allah,
superseding all his seniors in the Technical Branches and his term mates of
Operations Branch which was unprecedented in the Navy.
Sitara-e-Imtiaz (Military) in 1996 and later Hilal e imtiaz (Military) for
From Pakistan Navy in Oct 2002.
Karachi Shipyard & Engineering Works as Managing Director since Feb 2003.
With three children and three grandchildren by the grace of Almighty Allah
who live in USA with his eldest daughter.
A keen golfer and normally plays at Karachi Golf Club where he is also a
member of its Managing Committee.
Of being A Thorough Gentleman